If, like us, you are a fan of avocado on toast, why not bring it to the next level with vegan bacon? This super simple plant based bacon recipe is made with our Agave Syrup, which brings a subtle sweetness and is a great alternative to honey.
- 65g coconut flakes 65g coconut flakes
- 1tbs tamari or soya sauce 1tbs tamari or soya sauce
- 2 tsp liquid smoke 2 tsp liquid smoke
- 2 tbs Tate and Lyle's Agave Syrup 2 tbs Tate and Lyle's Agave Syrup
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp salt 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp olive oil 1 tsp olive oil
- Pinch of coarsely round pepper (optional) Pinch of coarsely round pepper (optional)
- Toasted and sliced sourdough bread Toasted and sliced sourdough bread
- Ripe avocado (1/2 an avocado per slice of bread) Ripe avocado (1/2 an avocado per slice of bread)
- Salt and pepper to taste (optional) Salt and pepper to taste (optional)
- Salad cress (optional) Salad cress (optional)
- A drizzle of olive oil to taste (optional) A drizzle of olive oil to taste (optional)
How to make this recipe
1. Pre-heat the oven to 150C.
2. Mix the coconut flakes, tamari sauce, liquid smoke, Tate and Lyle's Agave Ayrup, smoked paprika, salt, olive oil and pepper in a bowl until evenly combined. Spread out evenly on a non-stick baking paper and bake in the oven for 15 minutes. Check in every 5 minutes as every oven is different and you don't want the bacon to go too toasty!
3. Whilst the vegan bacon is in the oven, toast you bread and open, de-stone, peel and slice the avocado.
4.Assemble the toast to your liking.
There should be enough bacon for about 8 slices of toast! If you're flying solo or only have a few mouths to feed, store the left over bacon in an airtight container and use within 3 days.