Snowy Clementine Cakes
For the cake:
- 225g butter (softened)
- 225g Tate & Lyle Caster Sugar
- 225g self-raising flour
- 4 eggs
- 55g ground almonds
For the syrup:
- 4 clementines
- 2tbsp Tate & Lyle Icing Sugar
For the decoration:
- 450g ready made marzipan
- 500g pack Tate & Lyle Royal Icing Sugar
- Extra clementine zest (to decorate)
HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC, 350ºF, Gas Mark 4. Base line an 18cm (7”) square tin.
- Place the butter, sugar, flour, eggs and ground almonds into a bowl. Zest three clementines and add to the bowl with the juice of only one clementine, reserve the remaining fruit for juicing later. Beat the cake ingredients together thoroughly with an electric hand whisk until light and fluffy.
- Pour the cake mix into the tin and bake for 45-55 minutes until springy to the touch and cooked through. Leave to cool slightly then prick the cake all over with a skewer or cocktail stick. Juice the remaining fruit and add the 2tbsp icing sugar to make a syrup. Heat the syrup gently in a small pan, or in the microwave. Pour over the cake. Leave to cool completely before cutting into 20 squares.
- To decorate, roll out the marzipan until quite thin (about the thickness of a 50 pence piece), and use to cover each cake. Make the icing according to the pack instructions and ice each cake all over. Spike the icing with a knife for a snowy effect. Leave to set before topping each with a little zest.
If you fancy a bit of variety on top of the snowy cakes, pop a bit of lemon zest on the icing as well as the orange!