1. Place the yeast and sugar in a bowl of a standing mixer. In a small saucepan, heat the milk until lukewarm and pour it into the yeast and sugar mixture. Whisk gently to combine, cover with a clean kitchen towel and set aside for 5 minutes until frothy on top.
2. Add the butter, egg, flour, salt and cardamom and beat on low speed (using hook or paddle attachment) for about 3 minutes. The dough will be very soft. Remove the dough from the bowl and shape into a ball using lightly floured hands. If the dough is too soft to do it, add more flour, about 1-2 tbsp. Transfer the dough into a lightly greased bowl and cover with cling film or clean kitchen towel. Set aside until double in size (this will take about 60-90 minutes).
3. Line the baking tray with baking parchment. Tip the dough onto a lightly floured surface and punch it gently to remove the air. Divide into 4 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a thin circle (about 10- inch). Place the first circle on the baking tray, then spread the raspberry jam on top of it. Layer the remaining circles and filling on top (the top layer will not have a filling on). You can use a sharp knife or a pizza cutter to cut any scraps around the edges so you have an even circle.
4. Place a 3 inch, round object in the middle of the dough circles and make an indent. Using a pizza cutter, cut 16 even strips. Using both hands, grab two strips and twist them away from each other twice, then press the two ends together to make a point. You should have 8 points.
5. Cover the bread star with cling film and rest it for 20 minutes.
6. Preheat the oven to 170 C.
7. Brush the star bread with some egg wash and bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown on top. If the edges start to brown to fast, cover loosely with some aluminium foil. Remove from the oven and cool for 5 minutes. Dust with the icing sugar. Enjoy!
You can substitute the raspberry jam with any jam of your choice!