For the Cake
- 220g orange juice, fresh 220g orange juice, fresh
- 100g Tate & Lyle Pure Cane Unrefined Demerara sugar 100g Tate & Lyle Pure Cane Unrefined Demerara sugar
- 220g honey 220g honey
- orange zest, of 1 orange orange zest, of 1 orange
- lemon zest, of 1 lemon lemon zest, of 1 lemon
- 220g all-purpose flour 220g all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3g ginger, powder 3g ginger, powder
- 2g salt 2g salt
- 150g butter, melted 150g butter, melted
FOR THE FROSTING
- 300g cream cheese, at room temperature 300g cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons honey 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon(s) ginger, ground to sprinkle 1 teaspoon(s) ginger, ground to sprinkle
HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
FOR THE CAKE
- In a pot, add the orange juice, sugar, honey, and the zests.
- Place it over medium heat, and let the mixture heat up.
- When the sugar melts, remove from the heat and set it aside to cool.
- In a bowl, mix the solid ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, ginger, salt) and then, add the liquid mixture by mixing with a spatula.
- Lastly, add the melted butter and let the mixture cool.
- Preheat the oven to 140°C (284° F) set to fan.
- In a non-stick 20x30 cm baking pan (or in a simple baking pan lined with parchment paper) add the mixture, which should have a 1-1,5 cm thickness.
- Bake for 30 minutes, until it gets slightly golden. You will know when it is ready if you stick a table knife inside, and it comes out clean.
- Take it out of the oven, set it on a rack to cool completely.
FOR THE FROSTING
- In a mixer’s bowl, beat the cream cheese with the paddle attachment at medium speed, until fluffy.
- Add the honey and keep beating until there is a uniform mixture.
- Remove the bowl from the mixer, and with a spoon spread the frosting onto the cake.
- Sprinkle with the ground ginger, and serve.
Want to decorate your Christmas cake?
Check out the gingerbread biscuits recipe to style your Christmas cake.