1. Before starting, make sure that all your ingredients are at room temperature.
2. In a medium-sized bowl, using a whisk, mix together the eggs, ricotta or yoghurt, lemon zest, sugar, salt, vanilla and rum until combined.⠀ ⠀⠀⠀
3. In a separate bowl, sieve the flour and mix with the baking powder.
4. Add the flour to the wet ingredients in two batches. After a second batch, switch from the whisk to a spatula. The batter will be quite thick.
5. Put the batter in a piping bag, or just use a small plastic freezer bag, snip the end to make it as big as your thumb.
6. Heat the oil to 170c, medium heat, as you don’t want them to burn on the outside and stay raw on the inside.
7. Pipe little balls over the oil by pushing a little dough out of the piping bag and cutting the dough with scissors, which would fall into the oil. Fry for a couple of minutes, until beautifully golden brown, place them out on a plate covered with kitchen towel and continue frying them until you are done.
8. Get your little ones to roll these balls of deliciousness in Tate & Lyle Pure Cane Icing Sugar before serving them to the whole family