Italian classic in a vegan version. These crisp and crunchy almond and cranberry biscotti are full of festive flavours and are perfect for dunking in your favourite cuppa. These will make a great Christmas gift for loved ones.
- 90g Tate & Lyle Pure Cane Caster Sugar 90g Tate & Lyle Pure Cane Caster Sugar
- 90g Tate & Lyle Light Brown Soft Sugar 90g Tate & Lyle Light Brown Soft Sugar
- 80ml soy milk (or any other non-dairy milk) 80ml soy milk (or any other non-dairy milk)
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 orange, zest only 1 orange, zest only
- 1 tsp vanilla or almond extract 1 tsp vanilla or almond extract
- 275g plain flour 275g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt ½ tsp salt
- 80g whole almonds 80g whole almonds
- 80g dried cranberries 80g dried cranberries
- 180g white chocolate, melted (optional) 180g white chocolate, melted (optional)
- 100g dark or milk chocolate, melted (optional) 100g dark or milk chocolate, melted (optional)
HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (170°C fan). Line a large baking sheet with some baking paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together both sugars, milk, olive oil, orange zest and vanilla extract.
- In a separate, medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Tip the dry ingredients into the wet and stir until it forms a rough dough. Add the almonds and cranberries and fold them until well combined.
- Tip the mixture into a well-floured surface. Make sure your hands are well-floured too. Divide the dough into two pieces, then shape each piece into a rough log (about 5cm wide). Use the dough scraper if you have one, as it will make this process much easier. Transfer each log into the baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Remove the logs from the oven and allow them to cool for 10 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 160°C. Place the logs onto the chopping board and using large, serrated knife, cut the logs into slices, about 2cm thick. Place the logs into the baking sheet, cut side down and bake again for 6 minutes on each side, until golden brown.
- Allow the biscuits to cool, then dip one end of each biscotti in melted white chocolate. Allow the chocolate to set for few minutes, then drizzle some melted dark chocolate on top, in a zigzag pattern, if you would like.
Biscotti have long shelf-life and will make a great festive gift for friends and family. Place them in a festive bag or a small box, tie with a festive ribbon, and voila – your edible gift is ready!