Vanilla Meringue Cupcakes
for the meringues
- 4 large egg whites
- pinch of salt
- 225g (8oz) Tate & Lyle Golden Caster Sugar
for the topping
- 250ml (9floz) double cream
- 1 level tbsp Tate & Lyle Golden Caster Sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 12 cherries
HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
- Preheat the oven to 110°C/Fan 90°C, 225°F, Gas ½.
- Whisk the egg whites with the salt in an electric mixer until stiff but not dry. Gradually add the sugar little by little, whisking continuously until the mixture is glossy and stands in stiff peaks. Transfer to the piping bag.
- Pipe the meringue into the muffin cases then bake on the middle shelf of the oven for 2-2½ hours until they are set on the outside and still slightly chewy on the inside. Remove to a wire rack to cool, then place a cake wrapper around each.
- Combine the cream, Tate & Lyle Golden Caster Sugar and vanilla extract in a bowl and whisk until soft peaks form. Transfer to the piping bag and pipe a decorative swirl on top of the meringue cupcakes, decorate with the cherries and serve.
You will also need 2 piping bags fitted with star nozzles, a 12-hole muffin tray lined with paper muffin cases, and 12 decorative cake wrappers.
There is only one way to get rid of those spare egg yolks... Creme brûlée! You can find our recipe for the perfect brûlée here. Left overs never tasted so good!