Classic but distinctly different lemon cupcakes for you to try. Mediterranean inspired, discover how a hint of Pure Cane Light Brown Soft Sugar can bring a new world of delicate, subdued flavour to your cupcakes.
FOR THE CUPCAKES
- 185g unsalted butter (cubed, softened) 185g unsalted butter (cubed, softened)
- 185g Tate & Lyle Fairtrade Pure Cane Light Brown Soft Sugar 185g Tate & Lyle Fairtrade Pure Cane Light Brown Soft Sugar
- 185g self-raising flour 185g self-raising flour
- 3 large eggs (at room temperature) 3 large eggs (at room temperature)
- 1 lemon (zested) 1 lemon (zested)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp milk 1 tbsp milk
FOR THE BUTTERCREAM & DECORATION
- 225g unsalted butter (softened) 225g unsalted butter (softened)
- 450g Tate & Lyle Cane Icing Sugar 450g Tate & Lyle Cane Icing Sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice 1 tbsp lemon juice
- citrus peel shavings (to decorate) citrus peel shavings (to decorate)
HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/Fan 160°, 350°F, Gas 4.
- Combine the butter, Tate & Lyle Fairtrade Pure Cane Light Brown Soft Sugar, flour, eggs, lemon zest, juice and milk together in a bowl. Beat together with an electric hand mixer for about 1 minute until soft and creamy.
- Divide the mixture between the paper cases and bake on the middle shelf of the oven for 20-25 minutes until well risen, golden brown and they spring back when lightly pressed with a finger. Transfer the cupcakes to a wire rack to cool.
- For the buttercream, beat the butter with an electric hand mixer until really soft, then sift over the Tate & Lyle Cane Icing Sugar and mix again. Add the lemon juice and beat until smooth.
- Spread the buttercream over the cupcakes with a small palette knife, decorate with the citrus peel and serve. Alternatively, transfer the buttercream to the piping bag and nozzle and pipe a decorative swirl on top of the cupcakes, decorate with the citrus peel and serve.
If you want to add another texture to your lemon buttercream, add a little lemon zest and only half of the lemon juice.