Sugar Roasted Squash with Bacon
- 1 butternut squash (unpeeled, halved, seeded and cut into chunks)
- 2 red onions (peeled and cut into wedges)
- 3tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 pinches ground cinnamon
- Salt and pepper (to season)
- 50g hazelnuts (roughly chopped)
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1tbsp Tate & Lyle Demerara Sugar
- 200g unsmoked bacon (cut into cubes or lardons)
HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6. Put the squash and onions into a baking tray. Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with a little cinnamon and season well.
- Cover the tray with foil and roast for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix the hazelnuts, cayenne pepper and Tate & Lyle Demerara Sugar together in a bowl.
- Remove the baking tray from the oven, scatter the bacon pieces over the squash, then top with the nut mix.
- Place back in the oven, uncovered this time, for another 25 minutes before serving.
This dish is great as a main or a side; accompany it with some other roasted vegetables for a little feast or remove the bacon for any of your vegetarian guests!