A sumptuous dinner party winner, this rhubarb and almond crumble is perhaps the most delicious way to use rhubarb when it is in season.
For the Topping
- 250g Plain Flour 250g Plain Flour
- 125g Ground Almonds 125g Ground Almonds
- 375g Tate & Lyle Fairtrade Dark Soft Brown Sugar 375g Tate & Lyle Fairtrade Dark Soft Brown Sugar
- 200g Rolled Oats 200g Rolled Oats
- 100g Flaked Almonds 100g Flaked Almonds
- 2 tsp Mixed Spice 2 tsp Mixed Spice
- 250g Butter (softened) 250g Butter (softened)
For the Rhubarb
- 800g Fresh Rhubarb (chopped into 1cm pieces) 800g Fresh Rhubarb (chopped into 1cm pieces)
- 2 tsp Cornflour 2 tsp Cornflour
- 125g Tate & Lyle Fairtrade Golden Caster Sugar 125g Tate & Lyle Fairtrade Golden Caster Sugar
- Cream, Ice Cream or Crème Fraîche Cream, Ice Cream or Crème Fraîche
HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/325°F/Gas Mark 3.
- To make the topping, place all the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and stir well. Add the butter and bring together with your hands into rough crumbs.
- Divide the rhubarb between eight ramekins or into one large oven proof dish.
- Mix the cornflour with the Tate & Lyle Caster Sugar and sprinkle it evenly over the fruit. Spread the crumble topping over the fruit and press down very gently.
- Bake in the oven for 40 minutes. Serve with cream, ice cream or crème fraiche.
When deciding which rhubarb to buy, choose crisp, firm, plump stalks with good colour - this will be perfect for your crumble!
Pies & Tarts
Vanilla and Rhubarb Jam
Why not add a vanilla twist to your crumble by sweetening the rhubarb with a few tablespoons of our delicious vanilla and rhubarb jam?