Plum and oat muffin style cakes
for the topping
- 25g plain flour
- 15g (0.5oz) butter
- 20g Tate & Lyle Demerara Sugar
for the cakes
- 300g fresh plums (halved and stoned)
- 200g plain flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 50g jumbo oats
- 75g butter (softened)
- 100g Tate & Lyle Light Soft Brown Sugar
- 2 medium eggs
- 100ml milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
- Pre-heat the oven to 190C/Fan170°C, 375°F, Gas 5
- Line a muffin tin with paper cases. To make the topping, rub all the topping ingredients together to make a crumble mixture. Cut the plums into rough chunks. Sift the flour, baking powder into a bowl and stir in the oats.
- Put the butter and Tate & Lyle Light Soft Brown Sugar into a bowl and whisk until pale and creamy.
- Gradually add the eggs and when smooth add the flour mixture then fold in the milk, vanilla and chopped plums.
- Spoon the mixture into the paper cases and top each with a little of the crumbly topping. Bake for 25 minutes until well risen and golden. Transfer to a wire rack and cool before serving.
These muffins freeze nicely, so they're great for a quick, weekday breakfast!