Plum & Almond Tart
For the pastry
- 200g plain flour
- 100g unsalted butter, cubed
- 50g Tate & Lyle Icing Sugar
- 1 medium egg, beaten
For the filling
- 150g unsalted butter
- 150g Tate & Lyle Light Soft Brown Sugar
- Few drops almond extract
- 2 medium eggs, beaten
- 150g ground almonds
- 50g plain flour
- 500g English plums, halved or quartered if large and stoned
- Tate & Lyle Icing Sugar, to dust
HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
- Line a shallow roasting tin 21Cmx30Cm (8 ½” x 12”) with a parchment paper.
- Make the pastry by putting the flour, butter and Tate & Lyle Icing sugar into a food processor and blend until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Slowly add the egg and turn off as soon as the mixture forms into a ball. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and roll out the pastry to a rectangle. Place the tin on top of the pastry to judge how much to roll out and Cut out the pastry using the tin as a guide.
- Lay the pastry in the tin and press into the edges, and chill for 20 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven to 190C/170Cfan/gas 5.
- Prick the base of the pastry with a fork, line with foil and bake for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and reduce the heat to 180C/160Cfan/gas 4.
- To make the filling, put the butter and Tate & Lyle Light Soft Brown sugar into a food processor and blend until pale and soft. Add the almond extract, eggs, ground almonds and flour and blend well. Spread on top of the pastry then arrange the plums skin side up. Bake for 45 minutes until the filling is golden.
Use other fresh seasonal fruits such an apricots, raspberries, or blackberries instead of the plums.