For the Scones
- 50g Golden Caster Sugar 50g Golden Caster Sugar
- 175ml Milk 175ml Milk
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- 350g Self-Raising Flour 350g Self-Raising Flour
- 1 tsp Dr Oetker Baking Powder 1 tsp Dr Oetker Baking Powder
- 85g Chilled Butter, Cubed 85g Chilled Butter, Cubed
- 1 Egg, Beaten 1 Egg, Beaten
- 150g Strawberries, Hulled and Halved 150g Strawberries, Hulled and Halved
For the Filling
- 25g Golden Caster Sugar 25g Golden Caster Sugar
- 125g Mascarpone Cheese 125g Mascarpone Cheese
- 1 1/2 tbsp Pimm's 1 1/2 tbsp Pimm's
- 2 tbsp Double Cream 2 tbsp Double Cream
HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
- Preheat the oven to 220˚C / 200˚C fan oven / Gas Mark 7. Measure the milk out into a microwave proof jug and microwave for 30 seconds or until just warm. Add the vanilla extract and lemon juice, stir and set aside to thicken a little. Sift the flour and baking powder into a large Mason Cash bowl and add the butter.
- Rub the butter into the flour using just your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the Golden Caster Sugar. Add the thickened milk and bring the mixture together with a metal spoon. Tip the mixture out on to a lightly floured surface and bring together lightly with your hands.
- Shape into a circle and lightly roll out until 3cm thick. Cut out 7cm round scones with a plain cutter. Place on a baking sheet and brush the tops lightly with the beaten egg. Bake for 10- 15 minutes until golden and risen. Cool on a wire rack.
- To make the filling, place the mascarpone, Golden Caster Sugar, Pimm’s and cream in a medium bowl and beat together with a wooden spoon until smooth and well combined. To serve the scones, split in half and spread the base with the flavoured mascarpone. Top with strawberries and serve straight away.
- The scone dough should be soft and slightly sticky. To ensure the scones rise well, dip the cutter into the flour bag to ensure a ‘clean’ cut that doesn't flatten the dough.
- Also, make sure you don’t brush egg wash on the sides of the scone as this will prevent them from rising.
Find inspiration through our delicious recipes
A mouthwatering selection of sweet and savoury recipes that will become your new favourites.
Baking with Golden Caster
Want to add your own strawberry jam to these heavenly scones?
This sweet strawberry jam tastes fantastic on fresh scones – or use it to fill a Victoria Sandwich along with some whipped fresh cream or butter cream.