For the Filling
- 600 g Cooking Apples 600 g Cooking Apples
- Knob of Butter Knob of Butter
- 250 g Blackberries 250 g Blackberries
For the Topping
- 50 g Self-Raising Flour 50 g Self-Raising Flour
- 50 g Wholemeal Plain Flour 50 g Wholemeal Plain Flour
- 1/2 tsp Ground Cinnamon 1/2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 75 g Cold Butter 75 g Cold Butter
- 75 g Tate and Lyle Demerara Sugar 75 g Tate and Lyle Demerara Sugar
- 50 g Hazelnuts (Roughly Chopped) 50 g Hazelnuts (Roughly Chopped)
HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
- Preheat the oven to 190C/Fan170°C, 375°F, Gas 5.
- Peel, core and chop the apples, then put them into a pan with the butter and a tablespoon water cook together for 5 minutes until beginning to soften, add the Tate & Lyle Demerara Sugar then remove from the heat. Gently fold in the blackberries and tip into an ovenproof dish or four individual dishes or cups.
- To make the crumble, put the flours into a bowl with the cinnamon, dice the butter and add to the bowl, then rub together until the mixture looks like rough crumbs. Stir in the Tate & Lyle Demerara Sugar and nuts. Scatter over the fruit and bake for 20-25 minutes until the topping is crisp and golden.
- Serve with thick cream or crème fraiche.
If you're baking the crumble for someone with a nut allergy, simply replace the hazelnuts with a small handful of oats.