When life gives you lemons... make lemon custard pie! This velvety smooth and super creamy lemon pie never fails to impress! It's made using our Tate & Lyle Cane Caster Sugar, which is the best for these sorts of bakes as it dissolves quickly and doesn't leave any grainy texture (hello super-smooth filling!). The fresh, lemony flavour of the custard filling and the sweet, flaky, buttery pastry are a match made in heaven!
- 1 x 375g block of sweet shortcrust pastry 1 x 375g block of sweet shortcrust pastry
- 5 eggs 5 eggs
- 150 g Tate & Lyle Caster Sugar 150 g Tate & Lyle Caster Sugar
- 150 ml double cream 150 ml double cream
- 2 large lemons (juice and zest) 2 large lemons (juice and zest)
- Meringue kisses and sugar flowers to decorate (optional) Meringue kisses and sugar flowers to decorate (optional)
HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
1. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pastry to the thickness of a pound coin, then lift into a 23 cm tart tin. Press gently on the sides and the bottom of the tin, then trim off any excess pastry.
2. Using a fork, gently prick few holes in the pastry and transfer it to the fridge for about 25 minutes.
3. In the meantime, prepare the filling. Mix all the ingredients together apart from lemon zest. Sieve the mixture and add the lemon zest. Set aside.
4. Heat the oven to 140 C (fan). Line the tart tin with baking parchment or foil and fill it in with rice or ceramic baking beans. Blind bake for 10 minutes, then remove the foil/ parchment and bake for another 20 minutes until pale golden.
5. Remove it from the oven, pour in the lemon and egg mixture and bake for another 30 minutes until just set. Leave to cool, then remove from the tin.
6. You can decorate the tart with some meringue kisses and sugar flowers if you would like. Enjoy!