Have cupcakes looked evermore ghostly? Get spooky with your little ones with this moist chocolate cupcake recipe, topped with googly-eyed meringues. We’d say they are more on the cuter side than scary!
For the chocolate cupcakes
- 125g plain flour 125g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder 1 tsp baking powder
- 40g cocoa powder 40g cocoa powder
- 100g unsalted butter (softened) 100g unsalted butter (softened)
- 150g Tate & Lyle Pure Cane Caster Sugar 150g Tate & Lyle Pure Cane Caster Sugar
- 1 large egg 1 large egg
- 165g natural yogurt (room temperature) 165g natural yogurt (room temperature)
- 2Tbsp of milk 2Tbsp of milk
For the meringue ghosts
- 2 large eggs, whites only 2 large eggs, whites only
- 120g Tate & Lyle Pure Cane Caster Sugar 120g Tate & Lyle Pure Cane Caster Sugar
- Black food gel or sugar eyes for decoration Black food gel or sugar eyes for decoration
HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
- Preheat the oven to 180C (160C fan). Line a muffin tin with 10 cupcake cases and set it aside.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and cocoa powder, set aside.
- Cream together the butter and Tate & Lyle Pure Cane Caster Sugar until pale and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add an egg, and whisk to combine. Add the yogurt and whisk again. Gently fold in the sifted flour and cocoa mixture and add 2 Tbsp of milk. Mix until just combined.
- Divide the mixture between the cupcake cases and bake for 20-25 minutes until toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Remove from the oven and leave to cool for 5 minutes, before transferring into a wire rack to cool completely.
- Heat the oven to 120C (100C fan). Line two baking sheets with non-stick baking paper.
- Put the egg whites into a bowl of an electric mixer and whisk to stiff peaks (when you lift the beaters the egg white forms peaks that don’t flop over at the tip).
- Add Tate & Lyle Caster Sugar, one tablespoon at a time, whisking back to stiff peaks after each addition, until all the sugar is incorporated. Transfer the mixture into a piping bag fitted with 1 cm plain, round nozzle.
- Pipe the meringue ghosts onto the baking sheet. You want them to be roughly about 5cm wide and 4-5cm high. Hold the piping bag vertically to baking sheet and gently squeeze, pulling it up and away gently, to create a peak. Reserve about two tablespoons of the meringue to assemble the cupcakes.
- Bake the meringues for 1h 30minutes until crisp. Remove from the oven and allow them to cool completely.
- Use the remaining meringue to ‘glue’ the eyes into the ghosts. Top the chocolate cupcakes with the meringues and enjoy!