Golden Fruity Chocolate Flapjacks
for the flapjacks
- 295g unsalted butter
- 150g Tate & Lyle Light Soft Brown Sugar
- 100ml Lyle’s Golden Syrup
- 500g rolled porridge oats
- a pinch of salt
for the topping
- 120ml double cream
- 60g Tate & Lyle Light Soft Brown Sugar
- 40g unsalted butter
- 75g dark chocolate (broken into squares)
- 25g dried cranberries
- 25g chopped mixed peel
- ½ level tbsp freeze-dried strawberries
- 1 level tbsp pistachios, roughly chopped
- 1 level tbsp flaked almonds
- ½ level tbsp sunflower seeds
HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/Fan 160°, 350°F, Gas 4.
- For the flapjacks, combine the butter, Tate & Lyle Light Soft Brown Sugar and Lyle’s Golden Syrup in a large non-stick saucepan and heat gently until melted. Remove from the heat and stir in the oats and salt.
- Spoon the mixture into the tin, level and press firmly with a palette knife to smooth. Bake on the middle shelf of the oven for 20-25 minutes or until golden.
- Remove, leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes then turn out, discard the parchment and cool completely on a wire rack.
- Make the topping by combining the cream and Tate & Lyle Light Soft Brown Sugar in a saucepan over a low heat and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Bring to the boil and boil for 5-6 minutes stirring constantly until it is smooth and slightly thickened. Remove, cool a little then stir in the butter, followed by the chocolate and stir until melted. Leave to cool until thick enough to spread over the top of the flapjack. Scatter over the dried fruits, nuts and seeds whilst still warm. Cut into squares when completely cold.
You will also need a 20cm (8”) shallow square loose-bottomed tin, greased and lined with parchment paper.