Grilled Pineapple Dessert with Vanilla Ice Cream
23 mins, plus infusing time
For the pineapple
- 1 medium pineapple
- 110g Tate & Lyle Light Soft Brown Sugar
- 100ml water
- 2 tbsp lime juice (about 1 lime)
- 4 tbsp dark rum (optional)
- You will also need 10 fine wooden skewers and a 7cm (2¾”) and a 3cm (1¼”) plain round cutter.
For the Ice Cream
- 570ml (1pt) full fat milk or Jersey & Guernsey milk
- 1 vanilla pod (split lengthways)
- 7 large egg yolks
- 250g Tate & Lyle Light Soft Brown Sugar
- 725ml double cream
HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
HOW TO MAKE GRILLED PINEAPPLE DESSERT WITH ICE CREAM
Follow this helpful recipe for the ultimate grilled pineapple dessert with ice cream – the last word in summer desserts!
For the grilled pineapple dessert:
- Cut the leaves and bottom off the pineapple, then slice into 10 x 1cm ( ½”) thick rounds. Using the cutters, stamp out pineapple rings and discard the peel and woody core. Thread onto skewers.
- Combine the Tate & Lyle Light Soft Brown Sugar and water in a pan, stir to dissolve, then bring to the boil and simmer for 2-3 minutes until reduced by half to make a thin syrup. Stir in the lime juice.
- Preheat a ridged chargrill or barbecue.
- Brush the pineapple with a little of the sugar syrup, then place on the grill or barbecue and cook for 2 minutes on either side until glazed and golden.
- Pour the rest of the syrup into a serving bowl or individual glasses, add the rum, if using, and divide the pineapple skewers between them for dipping. Serve with golden vanilla ice cream.
For the Ice Cream:
- Pour the milk in to a non-stick saucepan. Scrape the seeds out of the vanilla pod and add them to the milk along with the pod. Bring to the boil, then remove from the heat, cover with a lid and leave to infuse for 30 minutes.
- Combine the egg yolks and Tate & Lyle Light Soft Brown Sugar in a bowl and beat together with a wooden spoon. Slowly pour on the vanilla milk and mix well. Transfer the mixture back into the pan and over a gentle heat stir constantly until it has the consistency of single cream. Do not let the mixture boil or it will curdle. Remove from the heat and beat vigorously with a balloon whisk to emulsify the custard.
- Strain the custard through a sieve into a bowl, mix in the cream and leave to cool.
- Pour into a shallow lidded container and freeze. Mix the ice cream, stirring really well, every 2 hours for 6-8 hours to make a smooth creamy texture, until firm enough to scoop.
- Be sure to serve immediately for the tastiest results!
- Why not garnish your grilled pineapple dessert and ice cream with some chopped macadamia nuts or caramel sauce for that extra added “mmm!”
- Why not put those left-over egg whites to good use and try these super-easy, show-stopping Raspberry Ripple Meringues?