These gingerbread biscuits are great to make with kids and also make for the perfect stocking fillers.
- 115 grams butter (room temperature) 115 grams butter (room temperature)
- 1 cup (200 grams) Tate & Lyle Pure Cane Dark Muscovado Sugar 1 cup (200 grams) Tate & Lyle Pure Cane Dark Muscovado Sugar
- 1 egg 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons Lyle's golden syrup 2 tablespoons Lyle's golden syrup
- 2 cups (280 grams) plain flour 2 cups (280 grams) plain flour
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon baking soda 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt 1/4 teaspoon salt
HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
- Cream the butter and sugar together in a large bowl or in the bowl of a stand mixer until light and fluffy. Add the egg and Lyle’s golden syrup and combine.
- Add all other ingredients and mix together on low speed until well combined.
- Split dough in half and shape each half into a disc.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and chill in the freezer for 1 hour, or fridge for 2 hours.
- Once you are ready to bake the biscuits, preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F.
- Remove the dough discs from the fridge or freezer and unwrap. If using frozen dough, allow to thaw in the fridge for an hour or so.
- Roll the dough out until it is about 3-4mm thick. If the dough is too hard to roll out, leave it sitting for 10 minutes or so and then try again.
- Using Christmas biscuits cutters, or whatever shapes you want to, cut out the biscuits and lay them on a lined baking tray. Re-roll any scraps of dough to make more biscuits.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes, checking them at 12 minutes, until they are looking golden brown.
- They will harden slightly as they cool, but if you prefer a crispier cookie, bake them for a couple of minutes longer.
- Allow to cool on the tray for 5 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack. Allow to cool completely before decorating.
You can also put the dough in the freezer to use at a later date for up to 3 months.