French Onion Soup
- 6 onions (peeled and cut into wedges)
- 375ml water
- 75g Tate & Lyle Demerara Sugar
- 75ml balsamic vinegar
- 2tbsp groundnut oil
- Salt and pepper
- 500ml good quality beef stock
- 4 slices of baguette
- 2tbsp Cheddar cheese (grated)
HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
- Place the onions, water, Tate & Lyle Demerara Sugar, vinegar, oil and seasoning in a large pan. Bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer gently for 40 to 45 minutes until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Add the beef stock and simmer for five more minutes.
- Meanwhile, sprinkle the baguette slices with cheese and grill until the cheese has melted and is starting to brown.
- Divide the soup between two bowls and sit two slices of cheesy bread on top of each bowl.
- Season again before serving.
Swap the beef stock cube to vegetable for any of your vegetarian friends!