Flower Fairy Biscuits
- 100g unsalted butter (diced)
- 100g Tate & Lyle Fairtrade Golden Caster Sugar
- 1 lemon
- 175g plain flour
- 1 large egg yolk
- to decorate
- 250g Tate & Lyle Fairtrade Fondant Icing Sugar
- 2tbsp cold water
- Fresh edible flowers
HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
- Place the butter and sugar in a food processor. Grate the zest of half the lemon and add to the processor. Blend. Squeeze a teaspoon of lemon juice into the processor with the flour and egg yolk. Process until dough forms.
- Turn the dough out onto a sheet of baking paper and knead until smooth. Wrap in cling film and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4. Roll out half the dough between two sheets of baking paper to approximately 5mm thickness, then peel off the top sheet.
- Using a metal cutter, stamp five squares into the dough, then lift away the dough around the squares, leaving the five biscuits. Lift the baking paper onto a baking sheet.
- Repeat Step 3 and 4 with the remaining dough.
- Bake the biscuits for 15 minutes. Cool on the baking sheet for five minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Rest a sieve over a bowl, add some TATE & LYLE® ICING SUGAR and use a spoon to press it through the sieve. Add the water and stir until smooth. Spoon the icing over each biscuit, then press the flowers into each. Let the icing set and serve!
Add water to the icing very gradually as you don't want it to be too runny or it'll come straight off your biscuits!