2 hours 30 mins
For the meringue
- [caster-sugar] 175g (8oz) Tate & Lyle Caster Sugar
- 3 egg whites
- 1 pinch of salt
- 500g strawberries, leaving a few on the side for decorating
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 450ml double cream
- 1 tbsp icing sugar
HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/425°Fan/Gas 7.
- In a large bowl whisk the egg whites using an electric hand whisk until they are stiff. Gradually add the sugar, little at a time making sure to keep the mixture firm.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper, and using a large table spoon, spoon dollops of the mixture onto the lined tray, leaving a little bit of space in between.
- Bake on the bottom shelf of the oven for 1 hour to 1 hour 30 minute until the meringues are hard. Leave to cool in the oven.
- In the meantime wash, hull your strawberries, and chopped them roughly. Lightly crush one third of the strawberries into a compote.
- To prepare the whipped cream, whisk together the cold cream and vanilla extract with the icing sugar until it starts to form soft peaks.
- Squash six of the meringues, and tip them in the whipped cream along with the chopped strawberries. Stir, and then add the strawberry compote, trying not to over-mix at this stage.
- Dollop into bowls, crushing the rest of the meringue on top and decorating with the remaining strawberries. Serve immediately.
Always nail your whipped cream by putting you bowl and whisk attachements into the freezer before mixing.