Earl Grey's Blueberry and Almond Polenta Cake
- 150 g butter (at room temperature)
- 150 g Tate & Lyle Golden Caster Sugar
- 4 large eggs (beaten)
- 1/2 tsp almond essence
- Finely rated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 200 g ground almonds
- 200 g instant polenta
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 300 ml crème fraiche
- 3-4 tbsp Earl Grey's Blueberry Jam (see our recipe)
- A few toasted flaked almonds
- Fine shreds of lemon zest
Blueberry & Almond Polenta Cake
HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C, fan oven 160°C, Gas Mark 4. Grease a 20cm spring form round cake tin with a little butter, then line with baking paper.
2. Beat the butter and caster sugar together in a large mixing bowl until light and creamy, then gradually beat in the eggs. Stir in the almond essence, lemon zest and lemon juice. Add the ground almonds, polenta, salt and baking powder, mixing thoroughly.
3. Transfer to the prepared tin and level the surface. Bake on the middle shelf of the oven for 40-45 minutes, or until a fine skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Cool in the tin for 20 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Remove the lining paper.
4. To decorate, dollop the crème fraiche onto the cake (without stirring it), and spoon the blueberry jam on top. Scatter with toasted flaked almonds and fine shreds of lemon zest
If you’re making the cake for someone with gluten intolerance, check the label on the baking powder to make sure that it’s gluten-free – most brands are.