1. Preheat the oven to 180C.⠀
2. Mix the sugar, eggs and softened butter until pale and fluffy, this will take 3-4min.⠀
3. Sift the flour and cocoa powder into the same bowl. Add the milk, salt and baking powder and mix until combined. ⠀
4. Get your baking tin ready (35x25cm) line it with parchment paper. Pour the cake mixture in and bake for approximately 20-22min at 180C. ⠀
5. When the cake is baked, transfer the warm cake with the parchment paper to a cooling rack. Let it cool completely at room temperature before adding the mascarpone frosting in order to prevent it from melting.
5. Once the cake is fully cooled, you can start making the frosting. Add the cold mascarpone in a large bowl and sift in the icing sugar and cocoa powder. Mix for 2-3 minutes.
6. Pour in the cold double cream, and mix until stiff peaks form, but making sure not to overmix.
7. Spread over the room temperature cake and serve with pitted cherries on top. This cake works best served at room temperature. If you refrigerate it, take it out 10-15 minutes before serving.