This chocolate mud cake is a true feast for any chocolate lover! Soft and fluffy chocolate sponge covered in rich and extra-chocolatey ganache. This bake is ideal for any celebrations or gatherings and would make a fantastic and delicious centrepiece at your family table!
For the Sponge
- 250g unsalted butter 250g unsalted butter
- 200g dark chocolate 200g dark chocolate
- 1 tbsp espresso powder 1 tbsp espresso powder
- 100ml whole milk 100ml whole milk
- 250g self-raising flour 250g self-raising flour
- 50g cocoa powder 50g cocoa powder
- 250g Tate & Lyle Pure Cane Caster Sugar 250g Tate & Lyle Pure Cane Caster Sugar
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 150ml soured cream 150ml soured cream
For the Chocolate Ganache
- 150g cubed butter 150g cubed butter
- 180g chopped chocolate, dark or milk, or both 180g chopped chocolate, dark or milk, or both
- 150ml double cream 150ml double cream
HOW TO MAKE THIS CHOCOLATE MUD CAKE RECIPE
- Preheat the oven to 160 C (140C fan). Grease and line 9’ (23cm) round loose-bottom cake tin and set aside.
- Melt the chocolate, butter, espresso powder and milk in a bowl set over a pan of simmering water, then set aside.
- Sift the flour and cocoa into a large bowl, then add the sugar and mix to combine. Fold this into the chocolate mixture, followed by the eggs, vanilla and soured cream.
- Pour the batter into the cake tin and smooth the top with the back of the spoon or a spatula. Bake for 1 hour, or until the toothpick inserted in the middle comes out with some crumbs still attached to it, but no raw batter. Remove from the oven and allow the cake to cool completely.
- To make the ganache, place the cubed butter and chopped chocolate in a medium bowl set over a pan of simmering water and allow to melt. Remove the bowl from the saucepan and stir in the cream. Keep mixing until you have smooth and glossy ganache. Set it aside and allow it to cool and to firm up until it has spreadable consistency (about an hour or so, you can also place the ganache in the fridge to speed this up).
- Slice the cake in half horizontally. Spread about 1/3 of the chocolate ganache on top of one of the sponges, then place another sponge on top of it. Use the remaining ganache to cover the top and the sides of the cake. Use spatula or the back of the spoon to create the pretty ganache swirls.
- You can decorate the cake with some sprinkles, mini chocolates, or some whipped cream. Slice & enjoy!