To make the chocolate cake
Read and follow these simple instructions to make a chocolate fudge cake from scratch.
1. Preheat the oven to 160 C (fan). Lightly grease three 20cm sandwich cake tins and line them up with baking parchment. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, sift together the flour and cocoa powder. Set aside.
3. Place the chocolate, sugar and butter in a medium saucepan with 100 ml of water over a medium heat and melt it all together, then set aside to cool.
4. Once cooled, transfer to a large bowl and add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well. Stir in the vanilla bean paste.
5. Add the chocolate mixture into the flour and cocoa mixture and stir it all together until well combined. Divide the batter between the cake tins and bake for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Leave to cool.
To make the buttercream
1. To make the buttercream, whisk the icing sugar and butter, using an electric mixer until light and fluffy (about 3 minutes), then add the melted chocolate and mix it all together until well combined.
2. Spread a thick layer of buttercream on top of one of the cakes, sandwich the other cake on top, and repeat with all the layers. Spread the remaining buttercream on top and sides of the cake so it is covered completely.
To make the ganache dip
1. To make ganache dip, heat the cream in a small saucepan or microwave, until hot, but not boiling. Add the dark chocolate pieces into the cream and stir it until it has all melted and you have smooth, glossy ganache.
2. Transfer the ganache into a squeezy bottle and create small drips on the edge of the cake (you can also use a spoon to do it).
3. Decorate the top of the cake as you desire.