Once you’ve sourced your wet and dry ingredients, follow this simple 5-step carrot cake recipe for the ultimate slice of yum!
1. Grease and line the base of a 2cm/8” deep, round cake pan or tin. Heat the oven to 170C/325F/gas 3. Set aside a tablespoon of the walnuts and chop the rest.
2. Place the oil, Tate & Lyle Light Muscovado Sugar and eggs into a large bowl and beat until thick and creamy, use a handheld electric mixer if available.
3. Add the vanilla essence to your cake batter and then stir in the chopped walnuts and carrots. Sift the dry ingredients together then fold them into the cake mixture. Turn into the prepared tin and bake for 50 minutes. Test with a skewer which should come out clean.
4. Remove from the oven, cool in the tin for 10 minutes then turn onto a wire rack to cool completely.
5. For the cream cheese frosting topping, put the cream cheese and Tate & Lyle Icing Sugar into a bowl and beat together until smooth and creamy. Spread over the top of the cake and scatter over the reserved walnuts, chopping them into small pieces if preferred.
• Grate the zest of one orange into the cream cheese topping to add a zingy twist to your carrot cake.
• Grating the carrots yourself instead of buying pre-grated carrots will allow you to grate them more finely and enhance this easy carrot cake recipe.
• Feel free to substitute your walnuts with pecans if preferred. Alternatively, if you prefer a nut-free cake, opting not to include them won’t ruin your carrot cake at all.
• Unfrosted carrot cake can be frozen and stored for up to 2 months.
• Be sure to share this easy carrot cake recipe with your family and friends!