Carrot & Walnut Cake
For the cake
- 275g Tate & Lyle Light Soft Brown Sugar
- 200ml sunflower oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 large yolk
- 150g carrots (peeled & coarsely grated to yield 125g)
- 60g walnuts (roughly chopped)
- 40g desiccated coconut
- a zest of ½ medium orange
- 165g plain flour
- ½ rounded tsp baking powder
- ½ rounded tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 level tsp cinnamon
- 2 large egg whites
- a pinch of salt
For the caramelised walnuts
- 20g unsalted butter
- 40g Tate & Lyle Light Soft Brown Sugar
- 75g walnut halves
For the icing
- 225g full-fat cream cheese
- 95g unsalted butter (softened)
- 95g Tate & Lyle Light Soft Brown Sugar
- zest of ½ medium orange
- 2 tsp orange juice
- 3 tsp lemon juice
HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
- Preheat the oven to 170°C/Fan150°C, 325°F, Gas Mark 3.
- Pour the oil into the bowl of an electric mixer, add the Tate & Lyle Light Soft Brown sugar and beat briefly until combined on a medium speed. Reduce the speed down to low, add the egg and the yolk, followed by the carrots, walnuts, coconut and orange zest.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and cinnamon, add to the mixing bowl and briefly mix in just enough to combine, scraping down the sides. Tip into a large bowl, then wash up the mixer bowl, ensuring it is completely dry and clean. Add the whites and salt and whisk until firm peaks form. Using a large metal spoon, carefully and lightly fold in 1 spoonful of the egg white into the cake mixture to loosen it, then add the rest.
- Pour the mixture into the cake tin and bake on the middle shelf of the oven for 55-65 minutes until golden and risen and a fine skewer comes out clean when inserted into the middle. Cover the cake with the parchment paper after 40 minutes to stop it from overbrowning – no sooner or the paper will stick to the top. Leave the cake to cool completely in its tin then turn out onto a wire rack and peel off the paper. Cut in half.
- Make the caramelised nuts by melting the butter in a medium-sized non-stick frying pan over a low heat. Add the sugar and stir with a wooden spoon for about 1 minute or until dissolved. Increase the heat to moderate, stop stirring, and cook for about 3 minutes, frequently shaking the pan, until the mixture makes a light coloured caramel. Add the walnuts, stir and tip on to the parchment paper. Separate the nuts and leave to cool and harden.
- Next, make the icing by beating half the cream cheese, all the butter, sugar, orange zest, and orange and lemon juice together in a bowl until smooth. Add the rest of the cream cheese and beat again until light and fluffy. Sandwich the cakes together with a little of the icing, then cover the top and sides of the cake with the rest and decorate with the walnuts. Lift onto a plate and serve.
Use our Fondant Icing to create some showstopper carrot decorations.