- 100g butter (softened)
- 100g Tate & Lyle Caster Sugar
- 2 large eggs (beaten)
- 150g self raising flour (sifted)
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1tsp vanilla essence
- Finely grated rind of ½ orange
- 2-3 tbsp. milk
for the buttercream
- 75g unsalted butter (softened)
- 175g Tate & Lyle Icing Sugar
- 2 tbsp. milk
HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
- Preheat oven to 190C/170Cfan/gas 5.
- Combine the butter, Tate & Lyle Caster Sugar, eggs, flour, baking powder, vanilla and orange rind in a bowl and beat together until well mixed and smooth. Add enough milk to make a soft dropping consistency.
- Place 12 paper cake cases in a twelve-hole bun tin, then divide the cake mixture between the cases and cook for 15-20 minutes, or until well risen and golden. Cool on a wire rack.
- To make the buttercream, put all the ingredients into a bowl and beat until smooth and creamy. Transfer to a piping bag fitted with a medium sized nozzle.
- When the cakes are cold cut a slice from the top of each, and cut in half to form the wings. Pipe a little buttercream on top of each cake, then arrange the 2 wings of each to resemble butterfly wings. Dust with the Icing Sugar and serve.
GET THE KIDS INVOLVED
Ask the kids to pop the wings on top of the buttercream!
Fancy adding a special touch to your fairy cakes? Why not add a dollop of our Strawberry Jam too!