- 500 g shortcrust pastry block 500 g shortcrust pastry block
- 700 g cooking apples (peeled, cored and sliced thinly) 700 g cooking apples (peeled, cored and sliced thinly)
- 40 g Tate & Lyle caster sugar 40 g Tate & Lyle caster sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp mixed spice 1 tsp mixed spice
- 2 tbsp corn flour 2 tbsp corn flour
- 1 egg (beaten) 1 egg (beaten)
- 2 tbsp Tate & Lyle demerara sugar (for sprinkling) 2 tbsp Tate & Lyle demerara sugar (for sprinkling)
How to make this recipe
1. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pastry to about 30 cm circle and £1 coin thickness.
2. Carefully roll the pastry around the dusted rolling pin, then unroll it into a 23 cm loose- bottom tart tin. Press pastry well along all the edges, trim off any excess. Save any offcuts for the lattice top. Heat the oven to 180 C (fan)
3. In a large bowl, mix together the caster sugar, spices and cornflour. Add sliced apples and stir all together well. Transfer the apples into prepared tart tin.
4. Roll out the remaining pastry into a rectangle, about 3 mm thick then slice out 10 strips for lattice topping. Arrange the strips into lattice pattern on top of the apples. Brush with eggwash and sprinkle with demerara sugar. Bake for 40- 45 minutes until golden brown.
5. Allow the pie to cool slightly, serve with caramel sauce or scoop of vanilla ice cream, enjoy!