A SIMPLE SWEET PIE FOR EVERY OCCASION
The beauty of an apple pie is that’s it’s practically perfect dessert for any occasion – be it birthdays, winter days, or just a standard Saturday! What’s more, you can get creative with what your pair your apple pie with, some favourite serving suggestions include fresh cream, whipped cream, ice cream or custard.
Follow this simple 5-step recipe for the ultimate apple pie!
1. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pastry to about 30 cm circle with the thickness of a £1 coin.
2. Carefully roll the pastry around the dusted rolling pin, then unroll it into a 23 cm loose- bottom tart tin. Press pastry well along all the edges, trim off any excess. Save any offcuts for the lattice top. Heat the oven to 180 C (fan)
3. In a large bowl, mix together the caster sugar, spices and cornflour. Add sliced apples and stir the mixture all together well. Transfer the apples into prepared tart tin.
4. Roll out the remaining pastry into a rectangle, about 3 mm thick then slice out 10 strips for lattice topping. Arrange the strips into lattice pattern on top of the apples. Brush with eggwash and sprinkle with demerara sugar. Bake for 40- 45 minutes until golden brown.
5. Allow the pie to cool and serve with caramel sauce, a scoop of vanilla ice cream, or whatever takes your fancy. Enjoy!