Apple-pecan Muffins With Salted Caramel Pecans
FOR THE MUFFINS
- 110g (4oz) Tate & Lyle Light Muscovado Sugar
- 60g (2½oz) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature, beaten
- 75g (3oz) pecans, roughly chopped
- 1 medium Cox’s apple or similar, peeled, cored & roughly grated
- 150g (5oz) self raising flour, sifted
- 1 rounded tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 floz (55ml) maple syrup
FOR THE ICING
- 75g (3oz) Tate & Lyle Light Muscovado Sugar
- 110g (4oz) full fat cream cheese
- 75g (3oz) unsalted butter, softened
- 1½ tbsp maple syrup
FOR THE SALTED CARAMEL PECANS
- 25g (1oz) Tate & Lyle Light Muscovado Sugar
- pinch of sea salt
- 24 pecan halves
HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/Fan160°C, 350°F, Gas Mark 4.
- Using an electric mixer beat the butter and Tate & Lyle Light Muscovado Sugar until light and creamy for about 2 minutes. Add the egg, little by little, beating well between each addition, scraping down the sides from time to time.
- Next, add the pecans and apples, then lightly stir in the flour, cinnamon and maple syrup.
- Spoon the mixture into the muffin cases and bake on the middle shelf of the oven for 16-18 minutes until risen and golden. Cool on a wire rack.
- Next, make the icing by beating the cream cheese, butter, Tate & Lyle Light Muscovado Sugar and maple syrup together in a bowl until smooth. Swirl the icing over the muffins, then chill whilst you make the salted caramel pecans.
- In a small non-stick pan combine the Tate & Lyle Light Muscovado Sugar and 1 tbsp water over a moderate heat for 2-3 minutes until the cane sugar dissolves, stirring all the time. Increase the heat a little and cook briefly to make a dark caramel, then add the salt and pecans and toss to combine. Quickly transfer to the parchment paper and leave to harden for 10-15 minutes. Separate the pecans, decorate the muffins and serve.
Feel free to add a sprinkle of cinnamon on top of the buttercream for an extra tasty flavor!