- 250g Butter (melted) 250g Butter (melted)
- 350g Walnuts (finely chopped) 350g Walnuts (finely chopped)
- 150g Pistachio nuts (finely chopped, keep 30g for sprinkling on top) 150g Pistachio nuts (finely chopped, keep 30g for sprinkling on top)
- 1 tsp Ground cinnamon 1 tsp Ground cinnamon
- 16 Sheets of filo pastry 16 Sheets of filo pastry
- 8 tbsp Lyle's Golden Syrup 8 tbsp Lyle's Golden Syrup
- 200g Tate & Lyle Golden Caster sugar 200g Tate & Lyle Golden Caster sugar
- 250ml Water 250ml Water
- 1 Large piece of lemon peel 1 Large piece of lemon peel
How to make this recipe
- Preheat oven to 180 C / Gas mark 4. Butter the bottom and sides of a 23x33cm baking dish.
- Boil Tate & Lyle Golden Caster sugar and water until sugar is dissolved. Add Lyle’s Golden Syrup and lemon peel.
- Simmer for 15-20 minutes, then remove from heat and set aside to cool (for a minimum of 2 hours).
- Add nuts and cinnamon to a bowl, mix well and set aside (Reserve 30g pistachio nuts to sprinkle on top).
- Unroll the filo pastry and trim to fit the baking dish.
- Cover the remaining filo pastry with a damp tea towel to keep it from drying out.
- Line the bottom of the baking dish with two sheets of filo and brush top layer with the melted butter
- Repeat until you have 6 sheets of pastry layered.
- Sprinkle over 3-4 tablespoons of chopped nuts. Top with a further two sheets of filo and butter. Repeat twice more.
- Place another two sheets on top and butter, then place the final two sheets and butter once again.
- Using a sharp knife, cut into diamond or square shapes all the way to the bottom of the dish. Bake for about 50 minutes or until Baklava is golden and crisp.
- Remove Baklava from oven and immediately pour the cooled syrup sauce over it (with the lemon peel removed).
- Leave to cool uncovered.
For a little variation, you could use a combination of walnuts and almonds for this recipe.